Masaaki Hatsumi: Dojo Art
At the dojo, Hatsumi Sensei painted for students. With these gifts he communicated directly, transcending linguistic and cultural barriers, exactly as he did with his physical arts. Masaaki Hatsumi: Dojo Art combines a sample of these artworks with action photos of him teaching at the dojo. This book offers minimal commentary because it's designed to imitate the experience of being at the dojo with Sensei (where he rarely explained himself). In my opinion, Sensei didn’t explain because he intended the training and his paintings to be a reference — seeing that which connects his arts is our responsibility.
— Steve Olsen
Photographer & Publisher
Dojo Art is written in Japanese with English translations. It includes paintings done by Hatsumi Sensei between 2009 and 2013 and has these features:
- Traditional hand-stitched binding
- 21.5 cm x 30 cm
- 242 full color pages
- Printed on 157 gsm art quality paper
- A prologue by Masaaki Hatsumi
- An introduction by the photographer
- English translations of the artist’s Japanese calligraphy
- Never before seen action photos of Hatsumi Sensei teaching in Japan
- Includes a slipcase to protect your book
Thank you for your support.
Award Winning Design
Featured on Behance
Behance curates a gallery of creative projects featuring great design. We are proud to be included. Click here to see Masaaki Hatsumi: Dojo Art on Behance.
Winner PRINT Magazine
PRINT Magazine featured Masaaki Hatsumi: Dojo Art in its 2014 Regional Design Annual.